Re: Poshintang recipes anyone?

From: Victor Sack <azazello_at_koroviev.de>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 23:53:44 +0200

Food Snob <CLASSACT_at_BRICK.NET> wrote:

> I have searched, but to no avail.
>
> Not that I want to prepare or it it. I'm just curious.

I posted one some months ago. Here it is:

Boshintang, the famous Korean dog meat soup. The recipe, complete with an introduction, is from
<http://www.angelfire.com/id/croon/korea/>.

Victor

Dog Soup is called, Gaejang, Gajangkuk, or Gujang, Gujangaeng, Guyoukgeng. It has been called Bosintang from the later part of 1940, but during the period of the 1988 Olympic games, it was banned to use the name of Bosintang, so its name was replaced by Youngyangtang, Sacheoltang, Mungmungtang. But nowadays, the name of Bosintang is widely used instead of Youngyangtang. Bosintang is made by boiling dog meat with thin soy paste, tearing it into pieces, putting ingredients such as green onion, leek, stalk of taro, brake into broth, and boiling it again to make Bosintang. In Kyungsang province, to get rid of the smell, perilla purple are put in the soup. Perilla are also used for ridding the smell. Taste of perilla is similar to that of dog, and it becomes a good match to dog meat. Side dishes of dog meat are Kimchi, fresh peppers, and cucumbers. Adding a glass of Soju(liquor) enhances the taste.

The standard amount of ingredients for one portion:

(1) Ingredients
100g of boiled dog meat
500g of gravy
20g of green onion
10g of a leek
10g of perilla leaves
100g of taro stalk soaked in water.

(2) Sauce
8g of salt
2g of mashed garlic
3g of perilla
2g of red pepper
2g of mashed ginger
a little amount of pepper.

(3) Cooking instruction
After boiling the meat with gravy and stalk of taro for some time, boil again after putting vegetables and other ingredients into it. Before eating, sprinkle pepper on it and put into an earthen bowl. The stalk of taro is to be kept in cold water one or two days to get rid of its smell and taste. Received on Wed May 10 2006 - 14:53:44 PDT